And that’s it. Another year in the rear view mirror and another reason to take a look back at the BEST, WORST and, well, others of 2018. So here it is… my pick of the Best Films of 2018.
Film of The Year: Coco
In Brief: Coco has No1 spot for almost the whole year. Yup in a year of great Animation (once again!) it’s yet another Pixar film that nails the top spot. Coco is just amazing. Emotionally engaging, heartfelt and funny it’s everything Animated cinema can be and more.
2. Mission Impossible: Fallout
In Brief: : The 6th Mission Impossible film delivers some of the biggest, best and most impressive action sequences ever committed to film. It’s tense, well crafted and modern action cinema at it’s best.
3. I, Tonya
In Brief: I, Tonya is Goodfellas on Skates. No it is. Really. Robbie is sublime, the direction on point and humour expertly delivered.
4. A Quiet Place
In Brief: Another low budget horror , A Quiet Place is without a doubt one of the most tense films of the year. Also here’s first TWO Emily Blunt films in the top 5.
5. Mary Poppins Returns
In Brief: Damn it who knew? A funny, charming, engaging throw back to days of old that just get’s you from the start. They really don’t make them like this any more…
6. Mandy – Mandy is a surreal, trip of a movie full of OTT gore, OTT action and OTT violence
7. My Generation – A top notch documentary starring Sir Michael Caine.
8. Lady Bird – An excellent Award smashing coming of age drama
9. Revenge – Violent, original and unlike anything else this year
10. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri – Award darling, it’s the performances that sit at the centre of this film that make it stand out
Bubbling Under: Molly’s Game, First Man, You Were Never Really Here, The Festival, Calibre, Avengers: Infinity War, Game Night, Black Panther, Ready Player One, Office Uprising, The Post, Bohemian Rhapsody